THE OFFICIAL ROTARY FLAG
flag was formally adopted by Rotary International at the 1929 Convention in Dallas, Texas. The Rotary flag consists of a white
field with the official wheel emblem emblazoned in gold in the center of the field. The four depressed spaces on the rim of
the Rotary wheel are colored royal blue. The words "Rotary" and "International" printed at the top and
bottom depressions on the wheel rim are also gold. The shaft in the hub and the keyway of the wheel are white.
The first official Rotary flag reportedly was flown in Kansas City, Missouri, in
January 1915. In 1922 a small Rotary flag was carried over the South Pole by Admiral Richard Byrd, a member of the Winchester,
Virginia, Rotary Club. Four years later, the admiral carried a Rotary flag in his expedition to the North Pole.
Some Rotary clubs use the official Rotary flag as a banner at club meetings. In
these instances it is appropriate to print the words "Rotary Club" above the wheel symbol, and the name of the city,
state or nation below the emblem.
The Rotary flag is always prominently displayed at the World
Headquarters as well as at all conventions and official events of Rotary International.
ROTARY'S WHEEL EMBLEM
has been the symbol of Rotary since our earliest days. The first design was made by Chicago Rotarian Montague Bear, an engraver
who drew a simple wagon wheel, with a few lines to show dust and motion. The wheel was said to illustrate "Civilization
and Movement." Most of the early clubs had some form of wagon wheel on their publications and letterheads. Finally, in
1922, it was decided that all Rotary clubs should adopt a single design as the exclusive emblem of Rotarians. Thus, in 1923,
the present gear wheel, with 24 cogs and six spokes was adopted by the "Rotary International Association." A group
of engineers advised that the geared wheel was mechanically unsound and would not work without a "keyway" in the
center of the gear to attach it to a power shaft. So, in 1923 the keyway was added and the design which we now know was formally
adopted as the official Rotary International emblem.